Saturday 3 November 2012

DREAM: DISTRACTION & SNAKES

DREAM: DISTRACTION AND SNAKES 

A few weeks ago I dreamt that I was in a Church. The Church was taking communion, and yet, amazingly and quite disturbingly, much of the congregation were talking and joking and seemed to be focused on anything accept for the communion. I was quite simply horrified at this. I tried to take the communion fairly quickly so that I wouldn't be distracted by anyone next to me, and yet still someone next to me made a joke and pushed me at the same time. 

After this I tried moving to the front of the Church with a friend, however, I didn't feel comfortable up the front, as I thought to myself that I didn't want people focusing on me instead of Jesus, and it just felt uncomfortable seeing as the worship band was right in front of us, and it was hard to focus on the Lord when they were right there. Instead, I went right to the back of the Church with my friend. I remember thinking to myself that we didn't need to go right to the back, but there we were anyway. It was then that the snakes started to appear from what seemed to be nowhere. Under my feet, and under the feet of the person in front of me that just kept coming, no matter how many times they were thrown away. Then the dream ended.

The Lord is saying a couple of things through this dream. Firstly, He is saying that some in the Church are becoming distracted from focusing on Him and on worshipping Him in Church services. Not only were people talking in the dream, and at the most inappropriate times (during communion), but also JOKING during communion- a time that is obviously a really serious time and a time that needs to be solely focused on remembering, honouring and thanking the Lord. This is not just a serious matter, but it's idolatry. The idolatry is represented by the snakes. These things are popping up in places of worship now, and they are distracting those that are truly wanting to worship and focus on the Lord. Whether they go to the front of the Church or the back, they are not finding that they can escape this distraction and this idolatry that some of His people are allowing in their hearts. The place of worship in the Church is such a sacred time to the Lord, and the Lord is jealous for the hearts, minds and focus of His people. To become distracted from that by focusing on ourselves and joking during such important times shows incredible disrespect to the Lord and to what He's done for us on the cross. Church services are also not times that the worship band should be the focal point of the attention, nor those that are up the front, but it should be a time to focus on the Lord alone. The Lord is calling for His people to be obedient to Him in this, and to stop the distractions and thus the idolatry that is going on. 

Job 33v14-18:
14 For God does speak—now one way, now another—
though no one perceives it.
15 In a dream, in a vision of the night,
when deep sleep falls on people
as they slumber in their beds,
16 he may speak in their ears
and terrify them with warnings,
17 to turn them from wrongdoing
and keep them from pride,
18 to preserve them from the pit,
their lives from perishing by the sword.[b]

Acts 2
17 “‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment