Sunday 18 November 2012

DREAM- 18TH NOVE: 'TO THE CHURCH IN LAODICEA WRITE...'



I posted something on the Church on facebook earlier today, and then went for an afternoon nap. I dreamt that someone had responded to my post saying that not all Churches were like what I had described. I responded by saying that I was talking about a specific Church, and half jokingly but half seriously said that I should've probably started off sharing by addressing the post: 'To the Church of Laodicea.' Then the dream ended.

In the first post I put on Facebook, I described the kind of Church today that is becoming filled with those things that are more akin to being at a theme park and a party, than a place of worship. This makes for false and frivolous worship, and this is the kind of Church that is spoken about in the book Revelation- the Laodicean Church. In Revelation Chapter 3v17 it says of this Church that, 'You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing. But y
ou do not realise that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.' While the Church of today is buying much that it believes is making it rich, Jesus continues to call out for it to buy what He treasures: v18: I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

The wretchedness that the passage talks about is threefold. Firstly, it speaks of the Church placing its value in riches that aren't true riches. Secondly, it speaks of not being either 'hot or cold' spiritually, thirdly, it speaks of walking in and after sin. The Lord is saying that the type of Church that is largely characterised by placing an inordinate affection on material things and riches is largely characterised by the three things just stated. The Lord is characterising this kind of Church as the modern day Laodicean Church, and it's people need to repent, and to buy from Jesus those things that really matter and to walk fully in His ways. When the passage in Revelation ends, it ends with the Lord saying, v19: Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent.' He is standing outside the door of this modern day Church and because He loves them so much, He is wanting to fellowship with them in His way if they will let Him by obeying Him in this.

Many have all kinds of opinions about this modern day Church, but only one opinion matters, because Jesus is the only faithful and true witness: v14 ...'These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation.' Men are not rulers of God's Church, Jesus is the only ruler there is, and He wants what is best for His people, so we must lay aside our opinions and obey Him.

God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment